(c) thewaroftheworlds-woking.com 2013
Woking Palace is a former manor house of the Royal Manor of Woking on the outskirts of Woking, near the village of Old Woking, Surrey.
The manor was in the gift of the Crown, and was held by numerous nominees of the Crown until 1466 when Lady Margaret Beaufort and her third husband, Sir Henry Stafford obtained the Manor by royal grant.
The first mention of a house on the site is in 1272. There is also later recorded use by Lady Margaret Beaufort, her son, Henry VII and her grandson Henry VIII. Woking Manor House was converted into a palace by Henry VII in 1485 and was subsequently remodelled by both Henry VIII and Eizabeth I. Sparse ruins of the site remain today.
The palace was moated and can be separated into four parts: north east quadrant; the medieval barrel vault and the King's Hall, built by Henry VII in 1508, in the south east; the King's Garden on the south west; and the Copse to the north west, once the orchard. Woking Borough Council, as custodians, have built a protective roof over the barrel vault, installed a lockable door and carried out protective repairs to the remaining Tudor wall. The King's Garden was originally a formal kitchen garden but is now a rough meadow. The Copse contains two large linear fish ponds and a smaller round pond. The moat is partly filled in on three sides whilst the River Wey enclosed the site on the fourth side.
Woking Palace is of particular importance because of its excellent survival, high diversity, enormous archaeological potential both on the island itself and in the waterlogged moats and particularly because of its historical association with royalty and the amenity value which is afforded by this association
The site has been designated as a Scheduled Ancient Monument under Section 1 of the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended by the National Heritage Act 1983. It is owned by Woking Borough Council.
Woking's Muslim Burial Ground is a unique Grade II listed site tucked away on the south east corner of Horsell Common. Bounded by ornate brick walls it has a domed archway entrance reflecting the design of Woking's Shah Jahan Mosque. It was built during the First World War as the only designated place of burial for Muslim soldiers who had died at the temporary Indian Army Hospital in Brighton Pavilion. The bodies of 19 Muslim were taken from Brighton to the burial ground but with subsequent Muslim burials taking place at Brookwood Cemetery the Horsell site fell out of use. During the 1960s the site was vandalised and the bodies were removed to the Military Cemetery section at Brookwood.
Built in 1889 by Dr Gottleib Wilhelm Leitner, was the first mosque to be built in the UK and Northern Europe. The mosque is situated on Oriental Road in Woking, about three quarters of a mile from the railway station and town centre.
Today the mosque has the honour of being listed as a historical Grade 2 building and is also a registered charity. Since 1995, the local community has renovated the mosque and restored its original elegance. In addition to the five daily prayers, the Shah Jahan Mosque is a focal point and continues to play a pivotal part in the life of the local Muslim community.
Another important function of the mosque is to support and promote religious education and it provides regular classes for children and adults for this purpose. Individuals and groups especially primary and junior schools are able to organise guided tours of the Shah Jahan Mosque, which provide an ideal opportunity for school children and adults to gain a better understanding of both Islam and the mosque.
The mosque and its members have always been keen in supporting victims of natural disasters around the world through raising funds and collecting donations.
The first railway station in Woking opened in 1838, when the line linking London with the port of Southampton was constructed.
The station was built on Woking Heath. This common land reached from the original town in the south, now called Old Woking. When the station first opened it was the end of the line; Basingstoke was reached in 1839 and Southampton in 1840.