e-mail - info@thewaroftheworlds-woking.com
(c) thewaroftheworlds-woking.com  2013
In 1885 Canon Allen Edwards, supported by the workers of the London and South Western Railway, opened an orphanage in Clapham for the children of railway workers which in 1909, moved to Woking where it could accommodate 150 children whose fathers had died during their work on the railways.
In the 1960s the site became known as the Southern Railwaymen's Home for Children and Old People. It is now part of Woking Homes which caters solely for retired railway and transport personnel and their spouses. According to Screen Archives South East, mothers could visit their children in the orphanage but this might only be once a month and "typically, the children remained at the orphanage until the age of 14 (later 16), leaving the institution with a hand-picked outfit and a guarantee of welfare support until the age of 21".
Woking railway station is a major stop  on the South Western Main Line used by many commuters. Woking station is served by a number of rail services.
Originally Built in 1838 at the junction between lines to London, the south coast, and the south-west of England, and the private railway to Brookwood Cemetery, which was developed by the London Necropolis Company as an overflow burial ground for London's dead. As a result, the original settlement 1 mile to the south-east, on the River Wey, became known as "Old Woking".The London and Southampton Railway (L&SR) was authorised on 25 July 1834, It was built and opened in stages, and the first section, that between the London terminus at Nine Elms and Woking Common was opened on 21 May 1838. Woking Common became a through station with the opening of the next section of the line, as far as Winchfield, on 24 September that year On 4 June 1839, the L&SR was renamed the London and South Western Railway (LSWR),and Woking Common station assumed its current name of Woking In1843.
Woking became a junction with the opening of the Guildford Junction Railway (GJR) on 5 May 1845; it had been authorised less than a year earlier, on 10 May 1844.The GJR was always operated by the LSWR, and was absorbed by that company on 4 August 1845.
Now one of the busiest in the region, Woking Station is a major gateway with connections to London, the south-west and the south coast. Trains run to London Waterloo, which can be reached in about 25 minutes, at least every 15 minutes throughout the day.
WOKING RAILWAY STATION
Woking Railway Orphanage